AutoLogoffcleanup & end inactive Windows sessions
WizardSoft AutoLogoff is the solution for managing inactive Windows user sessions and cleaning up user profiles. It is small, fast, dedicated and easy to setup. A free trial is available. AutoLogoff monitors basic keyboard and mouse activity (specifically things like key up and mouse move events; laying down a book on the keyboard won't fool AutoLogoff). When AutoLogoff is enabled a specific action is performed after a period of inactivity (equals no keyboard or mouse input received). Possible actions are: logoff, shutdown, restart, standby, lock, disconnect (’switch user’) or disconnect & standby. Before initiating the action a warning message can be shown. AutoLogoff can optionally first lock or disconnect the desktop for a number of minutes before performing a forced logout or restart. You can choose to delete temporary user files like the recycle bin, internet cache and contents of the user temporary folder at logoff so user profiles stay small and manageable. This can make a difference of several hundred megabytes for each user profile and prevents problems with roaming user profiles.
AutoLogoff can also limit the number of simultaneous logins/sessions per user. When a user hits this limit a message is displayed stating the logged on workstations. The user is logged out of the current workstation unless he/she chooses to automatically end the oldest session. AutoLogoff logs login & logoff events centrally for auditing purposes.
AutoLogoff can display a welcome message or disclaimer to the user upon logon. Medium font size makes the text easy to read and the window is sized to just fit the contents. The contents are read from a text file on a file share which makes it possible to let an appropriate department take care of the text itself.
You can enable a feature that suggests the user to take a break in a non-intrusive way after using the computer continuously for a period of time.
AutoLogoff is especially useful in shared computer environments like schools, hospitals and libraries. It adds a layer of security for users who forget to logout of Windows and makes sure computers are available for use. Supported environments include Microsoft Active Directory, Novell eDirectory and even stand alone workgroups.
Many companies hide the Windows ‘fast user switching’ feature because multiple inactive users will bog down the computer eventually. With AutoLogoff it actually makes sense to use the fast user switching feature. You can combine an action "Disconnect" or "Disconnect & Standby" with a final "Logoff" action to make computers available for use, but also keep the inactive session available for a limited time should the last user return.
AutoLogoff is centrally managed with group policy (although other methods are possible).
Basic setup tutorial for the administrator on a Windows 2008 server
AutoLogoff in action on a client computer
Why choose for AutoLogoff?
- AutoLogoff logs out idle users, even if the desktop is locked. If an application won't exit it will be (optionally) forcefully closed.
- You can choose to first lock the screen for a number of minutes before logging off
- AutoLogoff can automatically empty the recycle bin, delete temporary files, the Windows Explorer thumbnail image cache and browser cache at logoff and shutdown (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome (cache, media cache, gpucache), Adobe Flash)
- AutoLogoff closes programs forcefully when a user starts logoff from the start menu; no more logoff procedure that stops half way
- AutoLogoff can display a warning message for a limited time before the user is logged off
- You can configure the time period when AutoLogoff is enabled
- You can configure it to ignore the idle timeouts if a fullscreen video is playing
- Configuration is easy and adjustable to your needs from one central location: the Group Policy Management Console.
- AutoLogoff can run directly from a network share without installation or can be installed locally (a silent MSI setup is included)
- Native small and fast Windows executable; no additional software prerequisites
- Prevents users from using more than the specified number of pc’s at the same time
- Saves cpu, ram and disk space resources on terminal server and virtual desktop infrastructures like Microsoft Remote Desktop Services, Citrix XenDesktop and VMware View (VDI)
Licensing is based on the maximum number of simultaneous/concurrent users actively using the computer. This frequently equals the total number of computers where AutoLogoff is enabled. It is subscription based. An active subscription gives you usage rights, updates and e-mail support for 1 year. AutoLogoff is priced only $ 2.99 per license (€ 2.69) per year (with a minimum amount of 20 licenses).
Buy Now! * (read this if you want to place a purchase order)
We offer a substantial discount to educational institutions. Contact us by e-mail for discount details using your campus e-mail address.
Please contact us via email@example.com should you have any questions or suggestions!
*Digital River GmbH (Share-it) is our seller and handles payment and invoicing.